An exciting opportunity for an Electrical Design Engineer, to join a major producer of military-grade vehicles, based in Rustington, West Sussex. Due to the growth of their ‘Bespoke’ vehicle product development and manufacturing activities, having recently won some major projects, they are now looking for someone who can assist the Lead Engineer with the design and development of vehicle electrical systems and the production of electrical specifications / drawings. You will ideally have electrical design engineering experience from the automotive, aerospace or defence industries.
This is a permanent role with a salary of £45,000 plus benefits. You will be based at the company’s offices in Rustington and will need to travel frequently within the UK, occasionally within Europe, and periodically to Jordan and the USA. We are looking for a customer-focused individual who is versatile, creative and looking for a role which you can really make your own.
Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Electrical harness design and prototype manufacture to automotive standards.
- Design and prototyping of vehicle borne electrical power systems.
- Create Bill of Materials (BoM), Electrical schematics and wiring diagrams utilising design software.
- Production of electrical work instructions for the modification and installation tasks.
- Technical competence of reviewing project technical specifications and determining the best solutions to meet compliance.
- Direct liaison with suppliers for technical solutions to meet customer’s requirements.
- Direct liaison with project teams to demonstrate project design and build status is in line with key milestones.
- To understand and comply with Company policies and procedures including, but not limited to, ISO9001 and ISO14001.
Suitable candidates will ideally possess the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- ONC/HNC (or higher) engineering qualification (or equivalent experience)
- Chartered/Incorporated Engineer or working towards Chartered/Incorporated Engineer status (preferred)
- Experience gained in automotive, aerospace or defence suppliers.
- Experience of designing and building electrical systems from concept to production.
- Ability to create circuit diagrams and harness drawings using software packages e.g Arcadia (preferred), VeSys (acceptable). 3D experience (desirable) – Solid Works (preferred), Catia or similar (acceptable).
- Electrical harnessing assembly experience to automotive specifications, military electrical harnessing is preferred but not essential.
- Electrical system design experience ranging from battery charging systems, police lighting, radio communications and power distribution systems.
- Thorough knowledge of fault diagnosis with OEM diagnostic systems, generic CANbus diagnostic systems, as well as traditional fault-finding experience.
- Experience with integrating additional electrical circuits into OEM electrical systems to override controls and functions.
- Experience of vehicle borne communications systems installations.
- Printed circuit board (prototyping) experience is desirable.
- Experience of microcontroller programming is desirable.
- Category C/C1 UK driving licence is desirable