The Category Buyer will provide accountability for the management of category procurement activities ensuring delivery against agreed budgets and performance objectives with direct control of the sourcing of the materials that fall within the given commodity as well as management of the relationships and performance of the suppliers. In addition you will also be responsible for developing and delivering supplier and category management strategy in support of the company’s operational and strategic objectives.
Key focus of this role is to significantly develop and improve procurement and supplier performance, managing key stakeholders (internal and external) delivered in part, through effective tactical and strategic procurement, supply chain planning and supplier relationship management. You will have full accountability and autonomy for each commodities supplier performance.
- Take responsibility for the management of ERP demand and supply of the given commodity.
- Work with bid and project buyers to ensure there is sufficient material control and availability for production schedules.
- Develop a robust category strategy to include policies and procedures.
- Work alongside Procurement and Quality representatives to ensure clear audit schedules.
- Manage supplier export controls associated with bids and projects: ITAR, UK & foreign Military and Dual-Use Controls.
- Maintain an organised and maintained open order book.
- Effectively manage supplier rejects and returns in conjunction with the quality department
- Broad range of Procurement skills focused on: Total cost of ownership, design to cost, technical understanding, Supplier Management, Risk and Opportunity Management.
- Will have solid materials management experience to include preparation, validation and scheduling of purchase orders to achieve appropriate level of material availability
- Maintain lead time and re-order level information in appropriate systems.
- Issue Requests for Quotations (RFQs) in support of bids and projects.
- Negotiate supplier pricing and terms and conditions where applicable.
- Expedite all open orders to ensure on time delivery, alerting stakeholders to threats of non- performance and update systems as necessary.
- Support the assessment and appraisal of new and existing suppliers.
- Implement the preparation and management of reviews with relevant suppliers to include capture and improve supplier performance.
- Co-ordinate all invoice and accounts queries relating to purchase orders to assist the orderly flow of cash and ensure on time payment to the suppliers.
- CIPS Professional Diploma qualified or equivalent preferred.
- Extensive experience of strategic sourcing in the vehicle, engineering and production environment.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Able to manage demanding external and internal stakeholders.
- Experience of multi-site purchasing requirements.
- Familiarity with defence procurement and commercial sales processes.
- Eligible for UK Security Clearance to minimum SC (‘Secret’) level.