My Client, a rapidly expanding, award winning Contract Research Organisation, are looking for a number of research Chemists to form a brand new team at Bio City in Nottingham.
To undertake the laboratory-based synthesis, purification and analysis of chemical compounds in order to supply company products to meet customer specifications within a prescribed time frame.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To carry out the synthesis, purification and analysis of a range of chemical compounds.
- To keep a laboratory notebook in a neat and tidy fashion.
- To regularly and proactively update his/her Line Manager on the progress of his/her projects.
- To familiarise himself/herself with appropriate computer based software and search tools to enable literature searching and report writing as required.
- To have contact with customers or clients and represent the client in a professional manner at all times.
- To attend to any other incidental and general duties as specified from time to time by his/her Line Managers, which may include the upkeep and maintenance of the laboratories, buildings and equipment.
- To work with due consideration to the health and safety of oneself and ones colleagues at all times.
- To attend seminars or conferences on behalf of the company from time to time as requested.
- To travel to, or work temporarily at, other facilities in the UK from time to time as required.
- To take a proactive approach to one’s professional development.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- BSc in Chemistry or a related discipline
- Experience of carrying out laboratory based organic chemistry
- Experience of running and interpreting NMR, IR and Mass spectrometry samples
- Experience of using MS Excel
- Experience of using MS Word
- Experience of using chemical drawing packages (e.g. Chemdraw)
- Experience of searching the chemical literature
- Previous experience of preparing and implementing COSHH safety assessments
- Previous experience of using chemical structure and reaction search tools
- Previous experience of report writing
- Previous experience of working in an industrial chemistry laboratory
Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Ability to work accurately under supervision
- Problem solving skills
- Good time management and personal organisational skills
- Good communication skills, including written and verbal communication
- To be a good completer/finisher – be proactive in seeing tasks through to a successful completion
- Excellent inter-personal skills, to be able to relate to individuals at all levels
- The ability to plan ahead and to adapt to changing circumstances
- Flexibility and a willingness to put in extra hours when required
- Written and spoken English to a high standard