The Role of Biomarker Discovery Scientist:
This opportunity is within the emerging Biomarker Discovery team to add further expertise to increase the size and capabilities of the team. To play a central role in the application of metabolomics and / proteomics to identify biomarkers to speed up the development of cell & gene therapy products.
- Support the development of an LC – MS Platform
- Develop Libraries to enable the discovery of metabolomic and proteomic biomarkers
- Develop & validate Mass Spec assays e.g. prognostic and diagnostic assays in a range of biological matrices
- Apply ‘omics expertise of datasets to charaterise and optimise cell culture processes
- Lead R&D projects in the laboratory, interacting with external stakeholders and colleagues from other teams such as Analytical or Process Development
- Contribute to the development of protocols for validation and qualification activities
- Present reports and results to internal colleagues and external collaborators.
- Mentor more junior laboratory based colleagues
Required Skills and Expertise:
- A PhD with emphasis on proteomics or proteomics / MSc with experience in a cell therapy or related environment with metabolomics and / or proteomics experience
- Experience in the design and running of LC – MS studies to identify protein or metabolite biomarkers
- Proficient in the use of mass spec and data analysis software such as MATLAB, R, JMP etc.
- Background in analytical Biochemistry including mass spec applications for metabolomics and proteomics
- Experience of method development, validation and the troubleshooting of assays
- Background in the analysis of omics based datasets
- Experience of chromatographic separation e.g. LC, ion exchange, and characterisation by MS or MS / MS.
The company’s aim is to advance the cell & gene therapy sector to make the UK the place to commercialise these life changing therapies. They have the capabilities to take a therapy from the discovery phases, across the translational gap to the clinic and then through clinical trials to launch. Using their R&D expertise to achieve this along with their drive for innovation and continuously adopting the latest and most effective approaches. To complement their R&D efforts they have world class clinical operations, regulatory, health economics and market access expertise. Added to this they have developed a unique and highly successful GMP manufacturing facility based in Stevenage where collaborators can manufacture their therapies for clinical trial and commercial use.
They have a strong culture that is focused on collaborative and innovative working to deliver these life changing therapies to patients. As a company they offer excellent career development opportunities through their L&D programme that not only gives you the skills to advance your career but creates opportunities to take the step forwards to utilise them in a new position. Added to this they are continuing to expand as the demand for their expertise increases and they explore new areas of the sector.