A unique Biotech based on South West London are seeking a Research Scientist who has expertise with Molecular Biology to join their expanding R&D Group. Who are developing cutting edge platform technology for the engineering of DNA and its production for use in vaccines.
As a company they are developing DNA based therapies using their novel doggy bone DNA vector as well as applying their expertise to drive forward the methods for DNA manufacture using advanced in vitro methods.
The purpose of the Research Scientist is to support the development of solutions for the production of therapeutic DNA by designing and implementing cell-based assays to assess their functionality. This role will initially focus on supporting the further development of a novel technology that has recently gained approval from proof of concept and is being scaled up. To then gain further exposure on other novel platform technologies that are being developed, programmes you will have the opportunity to be a part of to drive the research forwards. This is a hands-on role where you will be able to apply your scientific expertise in an innovative and forward thinking environment.
An overview the responsibilities are:
- Apply molecular biology techniques in a cutting edge research with great potential
- Develop, optimise, and validate cell based assays
- Lead lab based projects working with the Group Leader to design and then execute experimental programmes
- Conduct mammalian cell culture including cassette design
- Conduct DNA transfection and reporter gene analysis
- Take responsibility for designing and carrying out cloning activities e.g. Gibson assembly / Golden Gate
- Complete genome engineering activities
Due to the positioning of this role you will be exposed to a range of innovative concepts with the chance to contribute to these from a molecular and cellular biology perspective to drive these forwards.
Desired Skills and Competencies:
For this opportunity, you will need to have:
- An MSc or PhD or equivalent commercial experience in a relevant Life Science gaining Cell and Molecular biology expertise
- Demonstrable experience of Recombinant DNA cloning / gene assembly
- Good knowledge of cloning techniques such as Gibson Assembly and / or Golden Gate
- Experience of using PCR, RCA, gel electrophoresis for DNA and protein analysis
- Mammalian Cell Culture experience
- Transfection experience
A pioneering company who have developed a revolutionary platform technology for the in vitro DNA amplification method for the production of synthetic DNA that can be used in therapeutics, viral vectors, diagnostic, and synthetic biology applications. They are based in state-of-the-art laboratories in Hampton and are a dynamic company who are leaders in the field with great potential going forward that is now being realised as they enter a phase of growth.
The Translational Group are responsible for developing gene therapies and DNA based vaccines alongside external collaborative projects to develop methods and manufacture DNA for use in clinical trials. Behind this there are others in the development pipeline to be realised. This is a growing function with the Manufacturing Scientist adding to this to further develop their capabilities.