Are you an experienced Scientist or Senior Scientist working with a range of iPSCs? If so this Scientist/Senior Scientist opportunity would be an excellent step in your career.
My client is based in Cambridge and their step change technology that is a combination of stem cell biology and synthetic biology. The purpose of this is to accelerate the discovery, development, and manufacture of cell therapies through the control of synthetic biology circuits.
Their aim is to build a scalable model that enables the production of cells that are actually affected by the targeted disease and accelerate the development of cures. Their focus is currently on human induced Neurological and Skeletal stem cells. They received significant funding to complement their own plans which has led to a rapid expansion as they meet their current aims and work towards the development of new ideas.
The Scientist/Senior Scientist will work closely with the R&D, Process Development, Automation, Quality, Logistics and Commercial teams. You will work on the scale up, automation and manufacture of a wide range of iPSCs and iPSC derived cell types. Working closely with the Team Lead and Director of Manufacturing you will improve production efficiency, optimize production workflows, monitor stock levels and deliver operational excellence.
- Leading on the tech transfer process into production & overseeing engineering runs of new cell types entering production from MSAT.
- Leading production runs on a rapidly growing portfolio of iPSC-derived cell types.
- Working with MSAT to optimise the critical aspects of production protocols for new cell types, including scale-up of culture conditions, cryopreservation, thawing & QC.
- Producing and maintaining SOPs for the production of new cell types as well as lead on route cause analysis of failed production runs.
- Supervision of junior members of the team, motivating and developing them to achieve high levels of performance and productivity. Overseeing development and training activities as well as coaching individuals to perform their roles effectively.
- Work independently to carry out all core accountabilities of the role as well as promote a proactive, continual improvement culture to maintain high standards of service and good practice.
- Contribute to developments in laboratory organisation and contribute to maintaining the core cultural aspects of the company
In Addition for the Senior Scientist Role you will:
- Establish, monitor and report key performance data to the Director of Manufacturing e.g. production schedules, group capacity, stock levels, progress against targets and failure rates.
- Actively engage with the company’s Project & Product Management teams to provide timelines on the development and execution of manufacturing processes.
- Lead a team of Scientists with responsibility for their day-to-day activities and career development.
- Coordinate time, resources and cross-team functionality required for the scheduling & execution of production runs.
- Lead the integration of technologies and/or infrastructure to support the continued development of the production team.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field of biological science with a PhD being desirable or equivalent within relevant industry
- Experience with human induced pluripotent stem cell biology (iPSC), characterisation and culture systems.
- Experience with manufacturing of cell-based products, process development & commercialisation of iPSC-derived cell types
- Experience in process tech transfer to GMP manufacture
- Experience working in a GMP or GLP environment
- Experience in cell culture automation would be desirable
- Direct industrial experience working with biologics, gene or cell therapy process development & optimisation would be desirable