Antibody Scientist required to join a fantastic Biotechnology company who develops pioneering technologies to accelerate the discovery and biomanufacture of cell and gene therapies. Their discovery technologies help pioneer advances in their CAR-T, CRISPR, capsid or promoter discovery programmes. The biomanufacturing solutions further accelerate the development and scalable manufacture of lentiviral, AAV or adenoviral vector-based therapeutics.
The Antibody Scientist will be located at their modern site in Oxford which offers good transport links and parking opportunities. They will contribute towards commercial projects focusing on antibody manufacture and characterisation. This is a lab-based role and candidates will be comfortable leading projects, working to tight timelines and adapting to shifting priorities. We are looking for individuals with prior experience in mammalian cell culture, Fast-Performance Liquid Chromatography (FPLC) and standard analytical methods. The Antibody Scientist will be expected to support less experienced members of the group, so enthusiasm about training is essential. The successful candidate will have strong communication skills to facilitate interaction with internal and external stakeholders, as well as a drive for scientific development and operational excellence.
On offer for the Antibody Scientist is a competitive salary + benefits. This includes generous holiday and an annual bonus.
Key Responsibilities of the Antibody Scientist:
- Characterising antibody samples using a range of analytical techniques including SDS PAGE, flow cytometry, HPLC, ELISA, and kinetic constant determination using the Ligand Tracer.
- Analysing and troubleshooting experiments to define key quality attributes for antibodies in the creation of certificates of analysis.
- Making recommendations for optimising procedures and processes, focusing on data integrity and accuracy.
- Managing multiple projects concurrently and keeping them on track.
- Keeping accurate records and writing results up into scientific/commercial reports.
- Solving problems to make progress independently.
- Supervising less experienced members in the team and supporting their training and development.
- Adhering to the company’s quality management system and contributing to writing and reviewing SOPs, training material(s) and producing high quality experimental records.
- Keeping up to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field.
- Supporting line manager with customer interactions, recruitment and in ensuring smooth running of the group.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- BSc/MSc (or equivalent) with demonstrable laboratory experience within industry or a PhD/DPhil in relevant discipline (e.g., Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Immunology).
- Expertise with cell culture techniques and the subculture/revival/cryopreservation of mammalian cultures in suspension.
- Significant hands-on experience of Fast-Performance Liquid Chromatography (FPLC) with AKTA instrumentation and Unicorn Software for the purification of proteins.
- Experience using standard analytical techniques/equipment (SDS PAGE, flow cytometry, ELISA, spectrophotometers, and plate readers).
- Self-motivated; demonstrable success in delivering assigned tasks on time.
- Strong team working skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in supervising less experienced team members, including setting objectives.
- Demonstrable experience with accurate and diligent documentation of work, reagent preparation and sample tracking, preferable with an electronic system (ELN/LIMS).
- Protein A antibody titre determination and Analytical Size Exclusion Chromatography (SEC) by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC).
- Sandwich ELISA for antibody titre determination.
- Determination of antibody EC50/IC50 measurement using ELISA/flow cytometry.
- Some familiarity with techniques involved in antibody humanization and in performing an in-silico manufacturability assessment, including basic homology modelling and the determination of antibody sequence liabilities for stability, expression levels, and immunogenicity
- Experience with adenovirus manufacture, titration, and characterisation would be an advantage.
- Experience working within a controlled quality management system (e.g., ISO9001, GxP).